Fun Fact (but actually not so fun fact for me): My boyfriend is lactose intolerant but refuses to admit he is. Since we officially move in together in one week and will be sharing a one bedroom apartment, it’s probably a good idea that I start making food that is dairy free (secretly, of course).
These brownies were actually made vegan because I realized I was out of eggs halfway through. Easy solution? Use a flax egg! For those who are unfamiliar with a flax egg, it is simply the combination of ground flaxseed + water. The mixture creates a thick paste that acts as a binder just like an egg. After tasting one bite of these delicious brownies, you would have no idea these are egg and dairy free! I am truly amazed by the perfectly soft and chewy texture of these brownies. Vegan or non-vegan, these brownies will instantly become your new favorite dessert.
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Brownies
vegan, gluten free peanut butter cookie brownies
- 72g peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (112g) earth balance vegan buttery sticks, softened
- 2 tbsp (14g) flaxseed + 6 tbsp water
- 2 oz Enjoy Life foods dark chocolate, melted
- 64g swerve granulated sweetener
- 64g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50g bob’s red mill gluten free flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp (24g) PB Fit
- 24g swerve granulated sweetener
- 24g brown sugar
- 4 tbsp (56g) earth balance vegan buttery sticks, softened
- 2 tbsp (32g) peanut butter
- 4g flaxseed + 22 mL water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- optional: 2 tbsp enjoy life foods dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flaxseed + water in small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Combine all brownie ingredients together in large bowl and mix until smooth. Pour batter onto bottom of greased 9x9 pan.
- For the cookie layer, combine all dry ingredients together in small bowl. Combine flaxseed + water in small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Next, mix together sugars, butter, flax egg and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Spread peanut butter cookie dough on top of brownie layer in small spoonfuls. Use a knife to swirl cookie dough with the brownie layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are golden brown and center no longer jiggles.
- Once cool, cut into 16 squares.
- Can use eggs instead of flax egg if desired. For brownie layer use two whole eggs; for peanut butter cookie layer use one egg white.
- Can also sub coconut oil for vegan buttery sticks.
Be Fit Creations http://befitcreations.com/