Lasagna was probably one of my favorite meals growing up. It really doesn’t get much better than stuffing together layers of pasta, tomato sauce, loads of cheese, and mouthwatering ground beef or sausage. Oh wait, you can serve it with garlic bread too!!
Being a competitive swimmer throughout my childhood and teens, there was literally nothing better than coming home from swim practice and finding my mom’s homemade lasagna with 3-4 pieces of garlic bread on the side ready for me to warm-up in the microwave and devour. Now, 2.5 hours of intense swim practice swimming 6000-8000 yards definitely meant I had earned those 800+ calories of cheesy pasta galore! But for those who may not have the same metabolism as a 17 yr old, carb hungry swimmer (or maybe just want to save room for dessert!), I have created a healthy, low fat lasagna that tastes just as good as traditional lasagna.
Made with fresh ingredients, this lasagna is only 168 calories with 3g fat and 16g protein per serving (and makes 9 servings!) Simply load up the layers and you will have a healthy and delicious dinner to feed the entire family!
low fat, high protein lasagna made with fresh ingredients
- 8 oz 96% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup green peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 200g whole grain lasagna noodles
- 12 oz fresh tomatoes, diced
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 oz fat free mozzarella cheese
- 2 oz 2% part skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz low fat ricotta cheese
- Bring water to a boil and cook lasagna noodles according to package. Set noodles aside.
- Meanwhile, place peppers, onions and garlic over medium heat in pan and cook until onions are translucent. Add in ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
- In a large pan, add tomatoes, tomato sauce, basil, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stir in peppers, onions and ground beef.
- Mix together ricotta and mozzarella cheeses in small bowl, setting aside 2 oz mozzarella cheese for topping.
- Grease an 8x8 glass dish and spread thin layer of sauce on bottom of pan.
- Place 1/3 of noodles on top of sauce then top with cheese, sauce, and noodles. Repeat until final layer of noodles is on top. Finish with light layer of sauce then sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and place pan on top of baking sheet to prevent spilling over.
- Bake at 425 for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil for last 5 minutes to allow cheese to bubble.
- Cool before cutting into 9 slices. Top with parmesan cheese before serving, if desired.
- 168 calories
- 20g carbs
- 3.4g fat
- 16g protein
Be Fit Creations http://befitcreations.com/